Friday, March 9, 2012

Henryville

The school I attend (Westview Jr./Sr. High School) started a charity drive to help a local town called Henryville, a town which was devastated with tornadoes a few days ago. We started this donation two days ago, and we already have around $1000. I personally have donated a lot of what I could, about $18 so far, but I will continue to donate until the drive is over, one week from today. My logic is that since I do so enjoy helping others, this would be a wonderful way to do so. Anyways, today, some of us have been asked to help load some things into a semi, things such as bottles of water, non-perishable food items, and other things the victims of this disaster will need. It turns out, to my pleasant surprise, that a local news team (WSBT) was at the scene, filming us as we loaded everything onto the truck. A few students were even pulled aside for interviews, and, shockingly, I was one of them! I was basically asked why the donations were important, and how I felt to be a part of it all, all that stuff. I was extremely nervous, and a bit self-conscious, as I'd never been on TV before. I just said the first things that came to mind, and I honestly wish I'd said a bit more or worded things differently, or maybe not have exploited so many of my verbal tics. I constantly used words and phrases such as "but," "you know," and "so." A lot of people have verbal tics, but not like I do. Mine are far more active than many others, where even if I make a conscious effort to stop doing it, I do it anyways. Anyhow, that's my experience with that today. Hopefully it wasn't too boring or irrelevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment